Do you have a terrible password? If you’re like millions of people around the world, then the answer to that question is an easy “yes”.
Every year, security researchers compile a list of the most common passwords in the world today. This list gets published online, and suddenly your password “Mustang1” or “654321” doesn’t seem so unique.
If your password is on this list, then you need to change it immediately.
You can view the full list of the 50 most common passwords here. That list was compiled by Keeper Security, a password management software company, which analyzed data from 10 million logins (login data was gathered through data breaches that occurred over the course of 2016).
What You Need to Know
Some of the important findings from this research included:
- The world’s most popular password for 2016 was the same as the most popular password from 2015: 123456
- The second most popular password? 123456789
- Out of the top 10 most common passwords, 8 of them involve common numbers (like 11111 at the number 5 position)
- Most of the common passwords were made up of 6 or fewer characters (which means a brute force attack can unscramble the password in seconds)
- password, which has long maintained a top 5 position on these lists, has now dropped down to the 8th position
- Some odd additions to the list included 18atcskd2w and 3rjs1la7qe, both of which seem like amazing passwords; however, these passwords appear on the list because they’re popular among bots that automatically setup new accounts
- The top 25 passwords have barely changed over the last decade, which means dumb people aren’t paying attention to lists or articles like this, and are continuing to use passwords that can easily be guessed
- The 12th most common password in the data sample was mynoob; the 21st was google
Again, if your password is found anywhere on this list, then you need to change it immediately. If you’re old, or bad with technology, then you’re at an even greater risk: people will assume you used a dumb password, so they’re more likely to target you.